August 22, 2011

Ending 2010


Can a year end on both a high and low note due to one event?  I believe it can.  For the past five years my Papa has been living in a care facility because a stroke incapacitated him.  We'd visit him as often as we could, seeing as he lived in Vegas.  We'd sing songs (Papa's favorite), try and talk story, give him haircuts, and just try and make him feel comfortable. 
Singing songs would either bring a large smile or tears depending on the song: Families Can Be Together Forever, I Am a Child of God, Mele Kalikimaka, I Know That My Redeemer Lives, Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree, and many more.
Well, just before Christmas we got a phone call that Papa had passed away.  I had feelings of sadness, relief, joy, and comfort.  I was sad to know that I wouldn't see Papa again in this life and that my children would only know him through stories..BUT I found joy and comfort in the knowledge that I would see him again and that he was no longer restrained by his body.  And relief...well, I was able to say goodbye a few weeks earlier.
The memorial was beautiful.  Kehl sang "I Am a Child of God" just like he did the last time we saw him during Thanksgiving from the window.  It was a beautiful moment.  I couldn't see everyone else through all my tears but I'm sure there wasn't a dry eye in the audience. 
We will miss him but we look forward to the day that we get to see him again.


We spent the rest of the year sharing stories about Papa, our own lives, goals, and bonding as a family.  It was a wonderful way to say goodbye and bring in a New Year.

No comments: