September 18, 2011

American Summer Past-times

Summer is that time of year I look forward to to spend time with my family.  Yes, Spring is refreshing with new growth and Fall is magical with the changing leaves, crisp air, and Football......but summer is late nights, endless family gatherings, rodeo's, baseball games, demolition derby's, fairs, and more.  So that's exactly how we spend our summer.
I think we're gone 90% of the summer but this year we took it a bit slow and cut WAY back.  Our first rodeo of the year was at Oakley.  It's usually the third one for us on the rodeo circuit but it moved to number one this year.  It was also Stockton's first experience with fireworks, which I'm happy to say he loved.  My favorite part of the rodeo is watching the man release the stock for either team roping, calf roping or steer wrestling.  His intensity is so captivating.
This summer we also threw our first WSU firework BBQ but because we were so busy running around entertaining we FAILED to get any pictures but in my head it was....almost picture perfect.  We had great food, drinks, fireworks, child entertainment, and when it was all over we didn't have to fight traffic.

Oakley Rodeo: 4th of July


For the 24th of July we went to the ballpark with the family.  The night was perfect for a great game and time together.  The Bee's won and the fireworks were AMAZING, which made it worth the extra $2 per ticket.  I initially thought it was ridiculous to have to pay more but wow.  I'd highly recommend going to a Bee's game on firework night.  The only downsides of the night were the high priced food items and Stockton's sad face.
Stockton had his 5 month shots earlier that day and they were starting to really take effect.  It just broke my heart to hear him cry and not just cry but cry in pain.  But by the end of the night he started to feel better and finally ate.  The good thing is I didn't have to buy his food.
Kehl wanted some food, too.  Actually, he wanted everything he could see.  The problem with that was that we didn't have enough money.  Kehl kept telling me that he had money so I put his money to the test.  How much popcorn do you think you can buy with a penny?  Ask Kehl he knows the answer.  He walked up to the booth, where they sell the kettle korn for $6, and asked if his penny was enough to buy some popcorn.  According to the lady it wasn't.  He didn't freak out.  He simply took back his penny, told the lady "Thank You", and walked away.  He then informed me that it wasn't enough.  He didn't ask for anything else after that.  Lesson learned.

Bee's Game: 24th of July

 

Every August some of our cousins participate in the Juab County Fair Demolition Derby.  In years past my sister has participated, my uncle J (who one year I thought was going to die so he called quits after that), my uncle E, and many of my cousins.  This year it was just one cousin and he did well but he didn't win.
For a time we had to spend it in the car because a microburst blew through and they made everyone evacuate.  We spent our time watching Mega-Mind and fitting 4 adults, 2 children and 2 car-seats into a 5 passenger car.  It was a cozy experience.
When they finally let us come back we watched two rollovers, a car catch on fire (minor but still on fire), and a lady have to be taken to the hospital via ambulance.  I have photos of none of that because....well, who wants to get their camera wet just in case there's a good shot.  I guess I should have taken that chance.

Demolition Derby

No comments: